Cleveland Clinic again has been ranked the No. 2 hospital in the nation and the No. 1 hospital for heart care in U.S. News & World Report’s 2021-22 Best Hospitals rankings.
This is the 27th consecutive year that Cleveland Clinic has earned the No. 1 ranking in Cardiology & Heart Surgery and the 23rd year in a row that it has earned a Top 5 overall ranking.
“Cleveland Clinic was founded 100 years ago on the belief that physicians should work together as a team to serve the welfare of patients. A century later, the organization remains a team of teams focused solely on the patient,” said Tom Mihaljevic, M.D., CEO and President of Cleveland Clinic. “Even in the most difficult of times during the COVID-19 pandemic, our caregivers rose to the occasion to provide the highest quality care to patients. Rankings like these by U.S. News affirm our caregivers’ continued dedication to providing patients with the best care anywhere – no matter the challenges.”
In all, 11 Cleveland Clinic specialties were recognized with Top 10 rankings: Cardiology & Heart Surgery (1), Geriatrics (2), Rheumatology (2), Urology (2), Gastroenterology & GI Surgery (3), Gynecology (3), Cancer (5), Pulmonology & Lung Surgery (5), Neurology & Neurosurgery (7), Orthopedics (7), and Ophthalmology (10).
“We are honored to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report, as the nation’s top hospital in the country for heart care, for a 27th consecutive year,” said Lars Svensson, M.D., Ph.D., chairman of Cleveland Clinic’s Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute. “As Cleveland Clinic celebrates its centennial, we share this honor with the physicians who came before us. Their pioneering work in both surgery and cardiovascular medicine continues to inspire our caregivers to provide high-quality, compassionate care to our patients and break new ground in research and treatment innovations.”
In addition to Cleveland Clinic’s main campus hospital, three other Cleveland Clinic hospitals earned national rankings from U.S. News:
- Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital – No. 31 (tie) in Orthopedics, No. 40 in Neurology & Neurosurgery
- Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital – No. 41 in Cardiology & Heart Surgery, No. 43 in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, No. 43 (tie) in Neurology & Neurosurgery
- Cleveland Clinic Weston – No. 33 in Gastroenterology & GI Surgery
Other Cleveland Clinic highlights include:
- Cleveland Clinic has the No. 1-ranked hospitals in Ohio as well as in the metro areas of Cleveland, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, and Akron.
- Four of the Top 7 hospitals in Ohio are Cleveland Clinic hospitals – main campus (1), Hillcrest (4) (tie), Fairview (6) and Akron General (7).
State and regional rankings:
- Cleveland Clinic – No. 1 in Ohio; No. 1 in Cleveland Metro Area
- Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital – No. 4 (tie) in Ohio; No. 3 in Cleveland Metro Area
- Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital – No. 6 in Ohio; No. 4 in Cleveland Metro Area
- Cleveland Clinic Akron General – No. 7 in Ohio; No. 1 in Akron Metro Area
- Cleveland Clinic Weston – No. 5 in Florida and No. 1 in Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro area
- Cleveland Clinic Martin Health – No. 25 (tie) in Florida
- Cleveland Clinic Indian River Hospital – No. 31 (tie) in Florida
According to US. News, the annual Best Hospitals rankings and ratings, now in their 32nd year, are designed to assist patients and their doctors in making informed decisions about where to receive care for life-threatening conditions or for common elective procedures.
For the 2021-22 rankings, U.S. News evaluated more than 4,750 medical centers nationwide in 15 specialties and 17 procedures and conditions.
To appear on the Honor Roll, hospitals had to post high scores across many of these areas of care. In rankings by state and metro area, U.S. News recognized hospitals as high performing in one or more areas of care.
In most areas of care, the rankings are based largely on objective measures such as risk-adjusted survival, discharge-to-home rates, volume, and quality of nursing, among other care-related indicators.
Just 175 hospitals were ranked in at least one of the 15 specialty areas. And just 20 hospitals – including Cleveland Clinic – made the Honor Roll, a distinction awarded to hospitals that deliver the highest quality of care across a range of specialties, procedures and conditions.
“Hospitals faced incredible challenges this past year, and the best of them have provided great care throughout the pandemic and continue to offer excellent care today,” said Ben Harder, managing editor and chief of health analysis at U.S. News.
For more information about the 2021-22 rankings and ratings, US News provides an FAQ page. Complete rankings can be found at Best Hospitals. The “Best Hospitals 2022” guidebook will arrive in bookstores on Oct. 5.
We are ranked nationally in 13 specialties, including 11 in the Top 10 and eight in the Top 5. Cleveland Clinic also received the highest possible rating in all common conditions and procedures rated by U.S. News.