Cleveland Clinic broke ground today for the new Lakewood Family Health Center. The 62,000 square-foot, $34 million facility is expected to be complete in the summer 2018.
Located at 14601 Detroit Avenue, Lakewood Family Health Center will offer specialty care, family medicine, imaging, chronic disease management, a center for LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) care, and feature a new state-of-the-art emergency department.
“Today, we launch a new commitment to the future of Lakewood and the health of this community,” said Toby Cosgrove, M.D., CEO and President of Cleveland Clinic. “The Lakewood Family Health Center represents a new concept in healthcare which is custom-designed to meet the needs of Lakewood residents and their families. We are proud to also offer a new foundation dedicated to the health and wellness of Lakewood citizens.”
In addition, Cleveland Clinic, the City of Lakewood, and Lakewood Hospital Association have teamed together to establish a new $32-million non-profit foundation to address community health and wellness needs in the City of Lakewood. Once formed, the new foundation will determine how funds will be dispersed.
Services in the new Lakewood Family Health Center will include:
- Family medicine
- Internal medicine
- 24/7 full-service emergency department
- Imaging and lab services
- Diabetes education
- Chronic disease care
- Center for LGBT care, with providers who understand the health needs of LGBT patients, and access to specialists with expertise in their care
- Access to the Cleveland Clinic Mobile Stroke Treatment Unit, an ambulance equipped for on-site stroke diagnosis and treatment
- Behavioral health services with a team of psychiatrists, therapists, advanced practice nurses and other specialists who are trained to manage complex mental health issues
- Center for Brain Health specialists providing diagnosis and ongoing treatment for patients with cognitive disorders and support services for family members who care for them
- Many specialty services including urology, nephrology, pulmonology, allergy, general surgery, colorectal surgery, cardiology, neurology and endocrinology
“We are so excited to see the beginning of construction for the new Lakewood Family Health Center. We look at this building as a hub for 24/7 emergency care, academic medicine and state-of-the-art programs in population health management and technology,” said James Hekman, M.D., medical director of the Lakewood Family Health Center. “It is our commitment to break down barriers to access for patients at this family health center and to enhance the wellness of Lakewood’s neighborhoods.”
The Cleveland Clinic Fairview Hospital Family Medicine Residency Program with Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine will also be present at the facility.
Additional offerings for patients include group education and shared medical appointment rooms, patient-centered exam rooms designed to foster a more engaged interaction between the patient and provider, care coordination and population management specialists, and patient navigators.
Whiting-Turner is the construction contractor on the project, and Bostwick Design Partnership will lead the design.