Cleveland Clinic Supports Cleveland City Council Resolution Declaring Racism a Public Health Crisis

Media Contact

Angela Smith 216.318.6632

Cleveland Clinic Statement, June 3, 2020

Cleveland Clinic fully supports the City of Cleveland and applauds the efforts of Council Members Blaine Griffin and Basheer Jones in issuing an Emergency Resolution to address racial disparities in our communities. Helping others to heal is our mission and caring for the community is a priority. Our organization will actively participate in the working group established by this Resolution to promote racial equity in the City of Cleveland. There is no place for racism in our world.

According to the National Academy of Medicine, medical care is estimated to account for only 20% of a person’s health. The other 80% is known as Social Determinants of Health: life expectancy, infant mortality and maternal mortality, mental health, smoking, drug and opioid use, obesity, housing, lead poisoning, crime, literacy and other factors.

“Cleveland Clinic is committed to ending long-standing structural racism that results in health disparities,” said Tom Mihaljevic, M.D., CEO and President of Cleveland Clinic. “Paying attention to racism and taking action as clinicians will guide our pursuit of true equality, justice and care for our patients and community. We will consider our own role in promoting change by serving as a trusted partner to the communities we serve and giving voice to our caregivers.”

About Cleveland Clinic

Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, it was founded in 1921 by four renowned physicians with a vision of providing outstanding patient care based upon the principles of cooperation, compassion and innovation. Cleveland Clinic has pioneered many medical breakthroughs, including coronary artery bypass surgery and the first face transplant in the United States. Cleveland Clinic is consistently recognized in the U.S. and throughout the world for its expertise and care. Among Cleveland Clinic’s 77,000 employees worldwide are more than 5,658 salaried physicians and researchers, and 19,000 registered nurses and advanced practice providers, representing 140 medical specialties and subspecialties. Cleveland Clinic is a 6,699-bed health system that includes a 173-acre main campus near downtown Cleveland, 23 hospitals, more than 275 outpatient facilities, including locations in northeast Ohio; southeast Florida; Las Vegas, Nevada; Toronto, Canada; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and London, England. In 2022, there were 12.8 million outpatient encounters, 303,000 hospital admissions and observations, and 270,000 surgeries and procedures throughout Cleveland Clinic’s health system. Patients came for treatment from every state and 185 countries. Visit us at Follow us at News and resources available at

Editor’s Note: Cleveland Clinic News Service is available to provide broadcast-quality interviews and B-roll upon request.